Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lookin Like A Long Day

I was walking to work today, which I normally do. I live about 20 minutes walk from work, and it's nice to take my time, listen to some music or comedy, and enjoy the city. It's getting pretty warm at the moment, and apparently it's only gonna get worse. But as I was walking today, I passed another white dude. I look up, and there he is, and then he waves and says hi to me. I was thinking to myself, Dude, if we were anywhere else, you wouldn't even acknowledge my existence. But here we are, walking around Busan, and you immediately latch on to the nearest Caucasian. That's how the foreigner community is here, though. I'm guilty of talking mainly to Americans and Canadians, too, but at least I don't walk the streets only talking to the non-Koreans.

Anyways, I'm in a bit of a bad mood, since I got to bed at 7 this morning. We went to Heather's place to make dinner and hang out last night after work, pasta and garlic bread and mandu (dumplings). It was nice and relaxed, and I thought, Hey, it'll be nice to get to sleep early tonite. Then Dan gets a call from his friend Lee, who asks us to come hang out. We figure we'll just go make an appearance and head out an hour later, but then we get there and everyone is heading over to a norebong, which is Korean karaoke. I distinctly remember a couple of people saying "1 song, and we're gone in 15 minutes." About 4 or 5 hours and several horrible renditions of Bon Jovi, Oasis, and Huey Lewis songs later, we're stumbling out onto the sunlit streets of Seomyeon. At least we got to get breakfast at McDonald's! So today's gonna be a long day of classes, then early to bed and late to rise!

In other news, I got my Alien Registration Card! I'm now officially recognized as a person by the Korean government! Seriously, you need this damn card to do anything, and even then, there are certain things that are closed off to non-Koreans. But with my ARC, I also got back my passport, which is good because we're planning on going to Japan this weekend! More on that as it develops.

But I should have internet access at home as of tomorrow or the beginning of next week, so I'll be around to talk more soon! Until then.

3 comments:

Jake said...

I hope your little intro about being a 20 something layabout ends with the DUN DUN from law and order

Nick said...

Dude don't knock the anglo pride. It's a special bond between strangers in a strange land sort of thing.

I think you know what I'm getting at here.

Gay Sex. And plenty of it.

Jake said...

Man Nick can just get inside your mind with his insightful comments- hes like a criminal profiler who knows just what Erick wants....


Also dude I am watching Giada here (at 8 in the morning on Sunday while I work :( ), and shes cooking for her loser husband and his loser bald friends- just being so nice and making the most delicious treats. They are just playing pool and watching the 'big game' and probably getting handies left and right ::frowns and makes a fist:: Giada!